Monday, July 9, 2012

FAMILY RULES SIGN, PART II


So after some great disappointent and blood, sweat and some tears, I finished my rules sign.  I have to say that I have always wanted one of these hung in my home, it gives visitors a sense of what we are about and how we stand on certain things.  I love that my home can speak or show what kind of family we are and want to be.  But like anything we really want, the price tag is always out of reach, so I turned to DIY.  I warn all who may read this and think they too want to make one of your own, it takes time and work space.  Of course I think mine was a bit bigger than your usual, it measures a foot across and is around 25" long.  What can I say? I have alot of rules!! lol.  Here are a few pictures taken with my phone.  Since I took so much time doing this and then doing it again, there will certainly be more pictures to follow as I haven't even begun to figure out how to hang the monstrosity. 


I used the mod podge technique with the words. The first take didn't work because I tried to do the mod podge all at once and some of the letters dried before I was done.  So next step after sanding and resanding some more, I cut up sections, it came out a little uneven in some spots but overall fit pretty good.  Then after it was done, removing the paper was fun.  As I took the paper off if I rubbed too hard the letters came off with it, so here inserts the time factor.  It took me a few sittings to get it all done.  Then I had to wait for it to dry so I could sand off the remaining paper, paint some of the letters back and then sand again.  Whew!!!  Ta da!!!!