It all started with my walls. We rent our house and therefore my husband was opposed, I mean opposed to painting and the cost of it. But I pushed because we had been there for 4 years and the walls needed SOMETHING!. Since his biggest gripe was the cost of paint I had the brilliant idea, yes, all me, to contact our landlord and simply ask, "hey nice landlord, if we paint the walls in the house all one neutral color will you pay for the paint?". What was that nice landlord? You will! Oh what joy you have brought to me and my plain white walls!! You are marvelous. (OK, so I embellished the story a bit)
We were off, set the day husband, get rid of the toddler, we are painting!!! And all I have to say about that experience, was Ouch, my body aches. But its done, all except for the mess ups on the ceiling and the baseboards, and now the door that leads to the garage because apparently it needed a pen design on it. Thanks toddler.
And now since my walls were not a plain white I can now change my furniture color. Insert inspiration here.
Oh sooo pretty. So I was off. First step was to find those curtains. That was my first heartbreak. If you are just tuning in and didn't really read the title of my blog spot it has the word "poor" in it. Yes, poor. Not a play on words, truly we do not have the money for $100 panels, especially when I have 2 windows in my living area. So ok, I said, I will make them. Yeah, did I mention I don't sew and would have to enlist the help of my already loaded down pinterest pinner friends? Well...yep. I even went as to look into the material to see how much it would cost. I found this beautiful work of art.
Here are my supplies, minus the brush I used, which is actually kind of important, so I will add that later. I found the orange paint at walmart, I had to buy 4 bottles at 3.27 each and the fabric medium at Michaels for $6. The black paint, painters tape, tape measure and pencil I already had. So I am not about to begin to write a how to paint your curtains, my buddies at pinterest have already done that, but I wanted to share my mistakes and what NOT to do. My first to tries were a bust. I was ready to give up the project all together until something in me said "NO, you can do this!" So I did more research.
My first panel. I did only one to see what it was about, how hard, etc. Not too hard to tape the curtains, I used the ironing board so I could stand. I then laid down some paper in the playroom over a sheet for the bleed through, because there will be bleed through. Which proves to I think be your biggest challenge. I mixed the paint to my desired color and added the medium. I later discovered that I did not add enough medium so be sure if you want to do this, that you follow those direction and measure.
So here is my first panel
So I researched again and found someone used a tarp. I thought, I have a tarp, I will try that. Here is my second panel.
Yeah, the crinkle in my tarp made the bleed through dry with a weird gunky pattern. Once again, I don't think I used enough medium, so maybe if I had this wouldn't have happened, but I still wanted to cry. This project that was suppose to save me money was failing and fast. My husband still told me they looked good, but lets face it, he was lying. lol. This is when I told myself I can do this, this project will NOT get the best of me.
Insert my last 2 panels.